[Ltb-users] using check_password.c with openldap 2.4.40 on ubuntu 12.04LTS

Guruprasad Kulkarni gkulkarni at gridcosystems.com
Thu Nov 13 17:26:36 CET 2014

Hi,

I downloaded and installed openldap2.4.40 from openldap.org onto an ubuntu
12.04LTS server.

I used the default options for installation (but enabled ppolicy)

I want to use check_password.c for password quality check, but I am not
sure about the paths to the various files required by makefile for
check_password.

Default directories for openldap:
1. bind_directory: /usr/local/bin/
2. data_root_directory: /usr/local/share/
3. include_directory: /usr/local/include
4. lib_directory: /usr/local/lib/
5. slapd_location: /usr/local/libexec/
6. system_config_directory: /usr/local/etc/openldap
7. schema_directory: /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema

I installed cracklib (libpam-cracklib).

If I am not mistaken the cracklib dictionary is at
/var/cache/cracklib/cracklib_dict.pwd

I would like to know, what should be the values of the following options:
1. CRACKLIB: I hope /var/cache/cracklib/cracklib_dict.pwd is correct
2. LDAP_INC: -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/libexec/slapd
3. CRACK_INC
4. LIBDIR

I also noticed that check_password.so is set to be created in
/usr/lib/openldap/modules. Is that correct? Should I change it? Is there
anything else I need to change?

-Guruprasad