[Ltb-users] How to test if cracklib is working

Gou Yang mega408 at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 27 02:43:37 CEST 2013

I've compiled the check_password.c file and I've installed it successfully. I'm not sure if it is working or not though.

I look in /var/log/messages and I can see that cracklib is enabled. I've set pwdCheckQuality to 2. I change the password and it seems to work. Although, when I change the password to something simple like "Password123" it does not complain.

I was expecting that a simple password like "Password123" would be rejected by cracklib due to it being a dictionary word. PAM Cracklib rejects this password.

So, am I right if I thought my check_password is not using cracklib? How do I make it work if that is the case?