[ltb-dev] [LDAP Tool Box - Feature #303] service slapd debug

noreply at lsc-project.org noreply at lsc-project.org
Wed Mar 2 11:23:22 CET 2011

Issue #303 has been updated by Clément Oudot.

Jonathan Clarke wrote:
> Clément Oudot wrote:
> > Jonathan Clarke wrote:

> > > Or simply set the default value to "stats config" (or 384, in the deprecated decimal notation), that way we have both :)
> > >
> > > In most cases I've seen, the config errors are certainly *not* displayed (one exception is "File not found" errors for schema files). For example, I commented the line "moduleload back_hdb.so" and restarted OpenLDAP, to this effect:
> > > [...]
> >
> > But what if you comment the line and then launch service slapd debug, with loglevel stats only?
>
> Ah, then the error is displayed. Such errors are sent to stderr, which presumably you use for the output, so we do see them :)

In fact, we redirect all output in /dev/null when using start, stop, etc. In debug mode, we do not hide STDERR, so we get these messages.

> Sorry - I wrongly assumed the output would be the same as the log file (via syslog), which doesn't display such errors. My bad!

So I think we can let this feature as it is. However, it was published yesterday in 1.2.

Thanks for all your comments!
Feature #303: service slapd debug
http://tools.lsc-project.org/issues/303