[ltb-dev] [LDAP Tool Box - Feature #303] service slapd debug

noreply at lsc-project.org noreply at lsc-project.org
Wed Mar 2 10:16:57 CET 2011

Issue #303 has been updated by Jonathan Clarke.

Clément Oudot wrote:
> Jonathan Clarke wrote:
> > Clément Oudot wrote:
> > > The debug level can be set with DEBUG_LEVEL in configuration file. Default value is 256.
> >
> > 256 is "stats". May I suggest setting the default to "config" instead? IMO, this would be much more useful, as most problems I have starting slapd are a config problem (error in schema file, non accessible DB directory, etc).
>
> I think configuration problems are always displayed when you start OpenLDAP with a debug level. I like to have the "stats" level as debug level, to directly monitor operations on the directory.
>
> Maybe we could add another parameter in the command line for the debug level? This can be another feature request.

Or simply set the default value to "stats config" (or 384, in the deprecated decimal notation), that way we have both :)

In most cases I've seen, the config errors are certainly *not* displayed (one exception is "File not found" errors for schema files). For example, I commented the line "moduleload back_hdb.so" and restarted OpenLDAP, to this effect:
<pre>
# /etc/init.d/slapd restart
slapd[28201]: [INFO] Using /etc/default/slapd for configuration
slapd[28207]: [INFO] Halting OpenLDAP...
slapd[28208]: [INFO] can't read PID file, to stop slapd try: /etc/init.d/slapd forcestop
slapd[28209]: [INFO] Halting OpenLDAP replication...
slapd[28210]: [INFO] no replica found in configuration, aborting stopping slurpd
slapd[28211]: [INFO] Launching OpenLDAP configuration test...
slapd[28213]: [ALERT] OpenLDAP configuration test failed
#
</pre>
Feature #303: service slapd debug
http://tools.lsc-project.org/issues/303